A fire has broken out in a block of student flats in Bristol, totally destroying the roof and two floors of the building. The blaze is believed to have started in the kitchen of one of the floors and quickly spread to surrounding areas of the building.
The fire has led to an increasing number of calls for better fire protection for students, mainly from the British Automatic Fire Sprinkler Association. They have said that a properly installed and well maintained fire sprinkler system would have suppressed the fire and limited the amount of damage done.
BAFSA have also stated that automatic fire sprinklers should be installed in all student accommodation because of the high level of incidents and the high number of students living in halls of residence.
It took more than 40 fire fighters, four fire engines and a turntable ladder from the Avon Fire and Rescue Service to eventually tackle the blaze.