An Oxford company and its owner have been fined £9000 after a number of fire safety failings were revealed in his property.
When inspectors arrived to investigate the property belonging to Le Casse Croute Ltd, they were faced with a number of fire safety failings. These included no trace of a valid fire alarm system and no means of escape in the event of a fire. In addition to this there were also residents sleeping on the top floor of the building.
Following inspection, the company was handed an enforcement notice which also restricted the premises. However, when inspectors returned, they found that no improvements had been made on the property, which prompted the Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service to bring the case to court.
Deputy leader of Oxfordshire County Council Rodney Rose said: “this is a stark warning for anyone who thinks they can take risks with other peoples’s lives.”
“Prohibition notices must be taken seriously and acted upon and this case clearly demonstrates the penalties for not doing so.”